Saturday, 9 October 2010


My latest project has gone completely awry!

I've been working on making paper from nettles, and was all ready to do the actual sheet-forming, but I'd been delayed - events conspired to rob me of time whenever I tried to set periods aside to do things.

The pulp ended up sitting sealed in unsterilised jars for far too long.

Even though it looked OK, it smelled utterly faecal.

So, it has gone down the toilet and I have gone back to step one: collect nettles.

I have not given up, though. The local nettle patches have grown since I collected the last batch. The stems are woodier, and the bast might be easier to strip.

I am considering skipping the retting step this time, and going straight for the cook.

Watch this space.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! I HATE when that happens. :(

    Hope this attempt works out better. :)